Whats the Best Layout Blind for Your Buck?

Quote · 1524 days ago · 0 people like this ·

What kind of layout blinds does everyone have or have had in the past? Which blind do you think is the best deal considering functionality, comfort, and the most important, cost?_x000D_ _x000D_ The first blind I had was a Power Hunter. It was the lightest blind on the market and seemed to be the most low profile, but I did not like the mesh covering my viewing area. The mesh gave me good cover, but cut down on my visibility too much. I also did not like that it did not have a frame so rest your gun on. I recently got a deal on a GHG Ground Force from Cabelas when it was on sale for $149.00. It is very roomy, has a gun rest, weighs a little more that the Power Hunter, but they all weigh a lot with stubble on them. So far the Ground Force has worked fine for me, but I am interested in everyone's opinoin.

Taylor S. Fowl Play Game Calls and Fowlnation Pro Staff
Quote · 1524 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I use the FA SUB layout. i got it on clearance as well for $125. its usually a $250 blind. its nice & roomy from side to side with plenty of room for blind bag & coat behind your head. my only complaint is that you dont have much room above your knees due to the gun rest. i also like the fact that you can fold the frame up into it without taking the door frames off. its also very easy to assemble & the pins are attached to the frame. The first one i had was the CAbela's interceptor. it was just as comfy as the others ive used but was difficult to fold up & the holes would never line up to put the pins in. this was the model from 4 years ago so they may haved improved it. Also FYI instead of using the fast grass stuff from CAbelas for concealment, which is usually to bright, i found some stuff at a craft store, raffia(sp?) grass, that works just as well & is much much cheaper. its also alot darker. it works well for a base layer before you add your natural vegetation where you are hunting.

Quote · 1523 days ago · 0 people like this ·

friends hunted with the stumblin' drake crew out of the new tangle free layouts. Very similar to fa sub and cabelas interceptor but much cheaper. They also have a big Sean version that is larger. Finisher snow covers also fit them. Good blind for the money $$140. From my experience though which i am a big guy but if you can look at them and try one out first. I tried laying in 6 or 7 at Pressley's before i found one that i liked, a FA SUB. Dont like the fact it has no stubble straps on top by the head opening.

Quote · 1522 days ago · 0 people like this ·

FA sub's are a very nice ground blind, its what i hunt out of and a lot of my friends do too

Quote · 1522 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I really like the Avery Finishers. They are just the right size for me and most of my friends, they're easy to set up, and are built to last (a very important thing in my book with the abuse we put them through). They're a bit more $ than the FA SUB's but I feel it's worth it...unless you can swing a really good deal on some SUB's like I did last year. _x000D_ _x000D_ I got a few SUB's that I bought from a guide last year and they are pretty nice but they have a few issues with the design that is very evident when they've been used for guiding many hunters. I still need to fix these issues at this point so I haven't had a chance to hunt out of them. There are problems with the plastic couplings in the doors breaking or, if the couplings don't break, the tubing getting flared causing loose fitting parts, and also the stitch on the seat near the headrest tends to rip. The guide said that the headrest problem can be cured if you double stitch the seam before you start using them. The blinds I bought from him they didn't get a chance to stitch because it was the middle of the season and they got swamped with business and were short a few blinds. To fix the coupler/tubing problems, I made some extended couplers here at work to distribute the loads and I made them out of aluminum.

FowlNation - Become part of the nation and help it grow
Quote · 1519 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I have been using a finisher for the past couple of seasons and i am about sick of it. It really has not help up very well at all. It falls apart while im in which can be a real pain when ducks are working. when it is brushed up real good it can be almost impossible to fold back up. Im looking into getting the new cabelas layout. ive read some good reviews on it and it has a built in neotub that can go in like 8 inches of water..

Ground Force, easy to hide, easy to set up, folds up nice._x000D_ _x000D_ I have an SUB and it sucks.

I am ng my ground force a lot too, but I have problems folding it up after I got all of my stubble on it. :|

Quote · 1516 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Rogers Sporting Goods has Final Approach SUBs right not for $129.99 for their year end sale. They have a lot of good deals right now. They are located in MO. I odered 2 very nice xtra large decoys bags, a avery sticker, and a new avery floating gun case and got it shipped ups ground. came next day all for $50! Check it out.

Quote · 1504 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Ive got a finisher, a migrator and a power hunter. I like the migrator the most because its has the most room. but its also the heaviest. I also like the power hunter a lot. Its so light and low to the ground and I really like the flip open lid, it makes it so easy to call and still be able to look around while doing so. Only thing I dont like about the power hunter is the fact that you need to crawl into it where with the finisher and migrator I can just step into and out of. Cant beat the price though..130-150 for a power hunter compared to 250-300 for the other 2.

FowlNation ProStaff / HEVI-SHOT Prostaff
Quote · 1504 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I have an Avery M2 i love how much room is in it but they are a little expensive. Next season I am going to pick up a Power Hunter for a backup they are around $150.00 and they look like they work great. not near a much frame work which make them lighter.

Quote · 1503 days ago · 0 people like this ·

all depends on your preference - i made some post on this topic earlier (can't remember the forum) - but if you see it read it. i'll say if you're just a bargan shopper looking for a good deal on a blind and not too worried about other features - i'd say you're best bet is to look at Final Approach (www.fabrand.com) or cabela's own line of blinds (they seem very comparable to avery's line of ground force and finishers) - if you're looking for a GREAT deal, check out i believe it's called Wildfowl Outfitters - or something VERY similar to that - they make a pretty cheap (i think it's less than a $100) full framed blind that i hunted out of all this past year before i bought my blind. i liked it, the only problem was that it didn't fold up at all, but that was fine - we just through our guns and decoys in it and carried out to our hunting spot. but i was incredibly comfortable and incredibly warm in on some of the COLDEST days this year. worth checking out. also, i know hardcore (www.hardcoredecoys.com) makes a nice blind that turns into a decoy bag and vice-versa.

Quote · 1503 days ago · 0 people like this ·

that company was - wildfowler outfitters (www.wildfowleroutfitters.com)

Quote · 1491 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I've got an interceptor. I like it. I also have a beavertail comfort zone, new in box unopened from xmas that I would like to sell. Beavertail sells them on their website for $309, I'll let mine go to $125. PM me if interested.

Waterfowl Recent Topics