Remington hypersonic steel?

Quote · 1289 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Anyone use this stuff this year. Kinda wondering how it did in the field. From what I've heard is it kicks pretty good and has a decent pattern. Might have to try it next year for myself.

Fowlnation staffer
Quote · 1288 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I used it and it patterned like crap and kicked like a mule for me. In my honest opinion, it sucks! Don't waste your money.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own car

Wesley, how many chokes did you pattern it with, and which ones. Also what kind gun was it out of?

Fowlnation staffer

Westley I heard the same thing. Maybe a such thing as to much fps.....

Gander Control Guide Service LLC
Quote · 1287 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Wesley, how many chokes did you pattern it with, and which ones. Also what kind gun was it out of?

Improved Cylinder and Modified chokes in a Stoeger M2000, and an Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full in a Remington 870 Express Super Mag.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own car
Quote · 1243 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I saw through other forums that this new Remington stuff may break guns and injure people, to it being like Jesus Christ himself loaded it personally and everything falls from it when the gun goes off.  I don't know, I stick with Federal Black Cloud, and a Carlson's Black Cloud choke tube (mid range).

Caveat Emptor

"If it flies it dies, and if it lands, it gets the gourmet shot"

I havent had the pleasure of trying it yet. A couple of hunting buddies of mine each bought 2 boxes of it for early honker season last august. MY friend, Jay loved the stuff. My friend Steve shot a 1/2 a box and traded the rest to Jay for 2 boxes of Black Cloud. Jay swears by the stuff now, and is going to order a case of it for snow goose season.

FowlNation ProStaff / HEVI-SHOT Prostaff

This stuff is just another load that blows bb's through the wad and tears up your gun. Kent's do the same thing. I stay away from all of them.

FowlNation Pro Staff
Quote · 1242 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I haven't had a chance to shoot any of this but the concept makes perfect sense from a physics stand point; Newtons first law states (in common form) an object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. By using that small powder charge directly in front of the primer, it gets the shot charge moving (this is the outside force to change the shot charge from a state of rest to a state of motion) then the primary powder charge ingnites. By getting the shot charge moving before igniting the primary charge, it allows a larger amount of the energy released from the primary shot charge to be transfered into kinetic energy in the form of velocity. This more efficient use of the primary shot charge allows the use of the same amount of powder as in all of the other shells we shoot to result in higher velocities without dramatically increasing chamber pressures. Think of it like when you try and push/pull something that is very heavy...it's really hard to get it to start moving but after it's in motion the amount of effort to keep it moving is less than what it took to get it started...the first thing I think of is the blocking sleds in football. Well, that got a bit longer than I intended but just thought I'd throw that out there.

FowlNation - Become part of the nation and help it grow
Quote · 1242 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Waterfowladdict has a valid point, When I originally asked the question about this I just got done youtubing the shot and thought it was a great concept. Until, I posted and none had any good news for me. Maybe they will tweak the wad or something a little and have a true killer load. Sometimes failing is the best route to success.

Fowlnation staffer
Quote · 1163 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I only bought one box, never patterned it thought it was ok. not as good as heavy shot.  recoil was high than normal.  expensive yes.  I always say "buy the cheap stuff and shoot 'em twice"

join, or DIE.
Quote · 1149 days ago · 0 people like this ·

i used a box last year. it worked pretty good for me. wesley anything you shoot through an IC or MOD isn't going to pattern all that well.but winchester X-pert shot the best for me.hypersonic steels are nice shells but they can get spendy to shoot

Quote · 1139 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I used it last year with mod success, I was using a SBE2 and a carlson mid range choke, killed ducks but that was about it. Not to much difference in felt recoil in my opinion.

CLEARED HOT!
Quote · 1114 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I was curious about this load also so before last season I went to the range to pattern these loads.  They packed a punch and threw a terrible pattern very inconsistent... I stick to my kent fast steel I swear by that stuff.

Quote · 1101 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Finally got out and tested this stuff today, Our session didn't last as long as planned but we did have some success with it and the camera equipment we used. out of my SBE 2 with an improved cylinder choke it patterned pretty nice at 35 yards. Hopefully we can throw a clip or something together for us to look at. As far as the recoil it definitely was more than the other rounds we tried but not as bad as we thought it would be. I'm looking forward to using it this year to see how it does in the field. To be continued...

Fowlnation staffer

Bought three boxes of it last season and have two boxes left. Was not that impressed with it. I shoot winchester Expert and like it better.

Here's how Hypersonic stacked up against Black Cloud & Winchester Xperts (using an 870 with mod choke) for us today:

Remington Hypersonic

Winchester Xperts

Black Cloud Pattern

We ran the same shots through a Super Black Eagle II and a Benelli Vinci, I haven't been able to digitize those results yet though.

FowlNation - Calling all Waterfowlers

Wow they are all really close when it comes to width of pattern. BC and hypersonic have alot more hits on the duck but in all reality they are pretty close.

The BC has the best over all pattern out of them. Seems to be a nice hole in the hyper.....

To be honest I was surprised to see Black Cloud pattern that well out of my 870, as previous times at the range it hasn't (but I'm pretty sure I wasn't using the mod choke when I last ran it).

Interested to see how it looks through the other guns, also can't wait to get back out and try out some winchester blind side. Scheels in St. Cloud is the only place I could it in stock as of yet though.

FowlNation - Calling all Waterfowlers

I liked it

Quote · 1100 days ago · 0 people like this ·

i love the  load  it is fast and leaves no cripples its all or nothin it shoots well out of my sbe2 but my hunting partners 870 leaves a thumping on yah espially 31/2 good load for auto loaders bad load for pump huns

Quote · 1099 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I have a buddy that had 2 cases last year. He said he loved the stuff but he ended up fragging his beretta shootin it last year.

Quote · 1099 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Remington recommends using factory mod. choke or it could damage your gun. I didn't care for it.

Quote · 1098 days ago · 0 people like this ·

Remington recommends using factory mod. choke or it could damage your gun. I didn't care for it.

using factory mod over factory cylinder?   I never read that on the box.

join, or DIE.
Quote · 1014 days ago · 0 people like this ·

I am by no means anti-Remington, but when I heard all the issues and concerns of possible overpressure with this load after buying a box, I called Remington.  The guy on the phone asked me what I was shooting, not "No, there are no overpressure issues because of the way we designed the propellant and wad."  I fibbed and told him a Remington 870, and he informed me that I shouldn't be concerned because Remington will repair my gun if something happens to it shooting this ammo.  Um, they'll repair it shooting any ammo, for a price of course.  Well, that told me that I wasn't going to put my Xtrema 2 at risk so I gave the shells to a buddy of mine who shoots a 1187.  Just situational awareness for those of you looking at trying this load.  No, I don't remember that guy's name, sorry.

Waterfowl Recent Topics